We’re very honored to feature our first passion in the blog and thankful that it is Mr. Kenneth Cobonpue pioneering it. Filipino-Chinese shouldn’t end the description with Industrial Designer because as he works his magic he simultaneously inspires people to be great on who they are, gathered awards all over the world, even become patriotic for elevating the level of the Philippines as a home of renowned artist and entrepreneur.
Here are the beautiful insights he shares about passion:
- Description. I create objects of beauty and function in the hope that my passion make people rekindle theirs.
- Discovery. I always enjoyed making and building things as a kid. I built bridges, mini monorails and contraptions which flew, sailed and rolled in our garden. My mother was my only audience then. I never knew you could turn that passion into a lifelong work until she encouraged me to pursue industrial design.
- Conquered Challenges. It’s a competitive world out there and the biggest challenge was to overcome prejudices about Asian manufacturers and quality. People pay a premium for things made in Italy and France but hesitate when the same product comes from a third-world country. We have to learn to value high-level craftsmanship and skill in any part of the world.
- Feeling for Living. It feels good to be doing what I like. It doesn’t feel like work at all.
- Greatest Achievements. I think I have accomplished quite a few things that no Filipino furniture designer ever has from establishing a global brand to discovering a new craft aesthetic. But history always has a way of looking at things uniquely. I like to think that it’s a home run when everyone can finally pronounce my name right.
- Sharing. I currently teach industrial design at the University of the Philippines in Cebu City. A majority of the kids who go there come from lower to middle income families. They come to the studio to hold classes and learn from the designers who work there also. That gives me fulfillment. We also help run an upholstery training school among other things. We have always been part of our government’s effort to promote our country and help concretely in anyway we can.
- Official Website – www.kennethcobonpue.com
- New brand “Hive” – www.h-i-v-e.com
- Profile – www.lexus.com/hybridliving
Awards (See images from Top to Bottom)
- COUP D’COUR AWARD | BLOOM CHAIR, Maison et Objet, Sept 2009
- OUTSTANDING QUALITY and DESIGN INNOVATION AWARD | LOLAH EASY ARMCHAIR, DECOREX London, Sept 2008
- BEST IN LIGHTING DESIGN | HALO LAMP, Australian House & Garden Style Awards 2008
Interior Crafts of the Islands, Inc.
- Address: 3-A General Maxilom Avenue, Cebu City 6000 Philippines
- Tel.: (+63 – 32) 233 – 3056 / 233 – 4045
- Fax: (+63 – 32) 231 – 2555